Comber Potato Festival is on Saturday 7th June 2014!
The second Comber Potato Festival will take place in the town’s main square this Saturday from 10am-5pm. An array of Northern Ireland’s top food producers and chefs will be there, but the star of the show will be the superspud that is the Comber Early.
This free event will be a celebration of this princely potato, which has been awarded EU PGI status putting it in the same league as Champagne and Melton Mowbray Pork Pies.
• Food stalls where customers can buy and sample the potatoes and meet the producers.
• Street food including Broughgammon Farm Billy Burgers, Jolly Pies and Krazi Baker griddle breads.
• Local Producer stalls where you can sample and buy including Abernethy Butter, Harnett’s Oils, Mike’s Fancy Cheese, Passion Preserved relishes and chutneys and Thyme and Co Gluten Free Cakes.
• Free entertainment including live music, The Ark Open Farm, a treasure hunt and children’s potato printing workshops.
• Cookery demos with local chefs using Comber Earlies in their recipes including Paula McIntyre and Carl Johansson from James Street South.
The 2014 line up
There will be so many of Northern Ireland’s best and most loved producers in attendance, along with lots more new faces. Here are some of the names confirmed so far...
Abernethy Butter, Eva Paris Macarons, Wilson’s Country Potatoes, Comber Potato Company, Broughgammon Farm, Mash Direct Bus, Thyme and Co Gluten Free Cakes, The Krazi Baker, Choice Pizza DIY kits, Simply Irresistible Carnbrooke Dexter Burgers, Broighter Gold rapeseed oils, Old Post Office, Lisbane, Forthill Farm meat and pork street food, Red Dog Foods American style sauces, Harnett’s Oils, Conway Summer Fruits, Chocolate Memories, Passion Preserved Relishes and Chutneys, Eleanor Craig’s Fudge, Foster’s Chocolates, Foodie Folk, Jolly Pies, Glens of Antrim Potatoes, Mike’s Fancy Cheese, Armagh apple growers.
With cookery demonstations by:
• Carl Johansson James Street South Bar and Grill, Belfast
• Colin Mc Creedy, La Mon Hotel
• Kelin McMichael, The Poacher’s Pocket, Lisbane
• Will Brown The Old Schoolhouse Inn, Comber
• BBC Radio Ulster chef Paula McIntyre
• Fritz Machala, Sugarcane Bistro, Comber
Jun 6, 2014
Sharon Hearne-Smith’s new cookbook, No Bake Baking
Guild member Sharon Hearne-Smith’s new cookbook, No Bake Baking, is about to hit the shelves and cause a bit of a stir in the world of baking.
The no-bake approach is perfect for novices, cooking with kids or anyone who’s short on time, with fast and easy ideas for every occasion.
In No-Bake Baking, Sharon Hearne-Smith shows how to create over 100 impressive sweet treats with absolutely no need for conventional baking. These easy recipes can be magicked up in your fridge, freezer, microwave or blender – or even your slow cooker, bread machine or sandwich toaster! Sharon cleverly transforms simple ingredients like rice krispies, pancakes, cookie crumbs, popcorn and marshmallows into stunning cakes, biscuits and desserts, saving you hours in the kitchen and guaranteeing gorgeous results every time.
You’ll find an array of jaw-dropping temptations, from iced lemon meringue cake, striped blueberry cheesecake and deep-pan double-chocolate mousse pie, to traybakes with a twist, such as rocky road white knuckle ride, trillionaire’s toffee tiffin and orange & hazelnut ‘brownie’ bars. Enjoy sweet mouthfuls like mini pecan pies with pretzel bases, chocolate peanut butter cups, and super-cute doughnut pops, plus inventive layered refrigerator cakes, frozen bombes, a back-to-front trifle cake and much, much more. Wave goodbye to burnt edges and soggy bottoms: these ingenious recipes are fast, fuss-free and every bit as rewarding as anything from the oven.
The book is published by Quercus (London) and illustrated throughout with gorgeous bespoke food photography by guild member, food writer, photographer and TV cook Donal Skehan. Available to order from Amazon
NO BAKE BAKING DATE FOR YOUR DIARY:
Sharon is hosting a community workshop demonstration and book signing at West Elms homewares store, Tottenham Court Rd, London at 3pm on June 7th.
Jun 6, 2014
Links of Interest
The Irish Food Writers’ Guild is grateful to the Herbert Park Hotel for their ongoing generosity in hosting our regular meetings in their excellent facilities.
+353 (0)86 815 8066
2014 © Irish Food Writers' Guild. All Rights Reserved.